U.S. Blames Iranian Regime for Saudi Oil Attack
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday the United States was “locked and loaded” for a potential response to the attack on Saudi Arabia’s oil facilities, after a senior U.S. administration official said the Iranian regime was to blame.
Trump also authorized the use of the U.S. emergency oil stockpile to ensure stable supplies after the attack, which shut 5% of world production and sent crude prices soaring more than 19% in early trade on Monday, before moderating to show a 10% gain.
A senior U.S. official told reporters that evidence from the attack, which hit the world’s biggest oil-processing facility, indicated Iran’s regime was behind it, instead of the Yemeni Houthi group that had claimed responsibility.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also said there was no evidence the attack came from Yemen.
“Amid all the calls for de-escalation, Iran has now launched an unprecedented attack on the world’s energy supply,” Pompeo said.
U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday appeared to play down the chances that he might be willing to meet with Iranian regime officials, saying reports that he would do so without conditions were not accurate.
“The Fake News is saying that I am willing to meet with Iran, ‘No Conditions.’ That is an incorrect statement (as usual!),” Trump said on Twitter.
Attack on Prisoners of Conscience After Protesting Prison Conditions
Iranian Sunni prisoners of conscience were attacked and beaten by Gohardasht Prison guards in Karaj after protesting prison conditions and denial of medical treatment. Many were injured but are still in solitary confinement.
Reports indicate that the prison guards beat the prisoners using electric shock and truncheons.
The prisoners had previously staged hunger strike in July to protest the authorities’ abuse of the prisoners and ignoring their problems such as lack of space, not being allowed to telephone their families and loved ones, deprivation of light and clean air, and being locked up inside their cells without being allowed to go outside for fresh air.
Iran Politician Calls for Seizing Canadian Ships
The former chairman of the National Security and Foreign Policy Committee of the Iranian regime’s parliament has called for the seizure of Canadian vessels sailing in the Persian Gulf to compensate for tens of millions of dollars’ worth of Iranian government properties seized by Canada.
Heshmatollah Falahatpisheh insisted that the Iranian military should seize all vessels carrying goods and products to or from Canada as soon as possible, and Canadian assets inside Iran should be confiscated.
Meanwhile, Falahatpisheh asserted, “An official list of Canadian assets and properties inside Iran should be prepared.”
The Canadian Supreme Court ruled on August 7 that Iranian assets in Canada should be sold them and the proceeds allocated to the victims of Tehran-related terrorism.